Monday, May 21, 2007

Social Networking

Social networking is all the craze these days.

In fact, that's really what web 2.0 is all about, letting people network online in varied and interesting ways.

For example, I recently started using MyBlogLog. I don't have the widget with the faces installed yet, but I do have the tracking code so I can know how many people are reading this blog, and what links they clicked when they left the blog. Not particularly useful information for a personal blog, but MyBlogLog is also about communities. There's a sense of encouragement to view other people's blogs and comment on them.

Another social networking site I've joined recently is Apsense.com. This is specifically a social networking site for online marketers (e.g. people who want to make money online). The emphasis is on building a network of contacts for support and advice. Most problems you'll come across have already been solved by someone, and it helps if you have a place to go to ask for help.

I'm not sure what the next big thing will be for the web. If web 1.0 was about people doing their own thing individually on the web, and web 2.0 is about enabling collaboration, what will web 3.0 be about?

Maybe an extension of the crowdsourcing mentality over at Cambrian House? Predicting the stock market by the collective wisdom of communities?

I don't know, but it's entirely possible one of my students in the next few years will be the one to make it happen.

That's a fun thought!

No comments: